Please follow these guidelines to help make our club rides safe and enjoyable.
Guidelines for All Riders
- Be familiar with and obey the Highway Code and show consideration to other road users and to fellow riders.
- Wear a cycling helmet and light coloured or fluorescent clothing.
- Eye protection and cycling gloves are recommended.
- Follow instructions given by the Ride Leader and Back Marker for the safety of yourself and fellow riders.
- Use cycling calls (see table below) to alert fellow riders to hazards.
- Use hand signals when turning and to point out hazards.
- Do not cycle too close to other riders and do not overlap your front wheel with the rear wheel of the bike in front.
- Arrive in good time for the briefing at the start of the ride.
- Bring water, phone, and cash/cards.
- Carry ICE details (enter your ICE details into your Spond profile, see here for details).
- Ensure your bike is in good mechanical condition.
- As a minimum, carry a spare inner tube, tyre lever(s), and pump/gas.
- Put lights on your bike in case the ride is delayed so the return is after dark, or visibility is poor.
- Flashing front and back lights are recommended to make you more visible during the day, throughout the year.
- Use full-length mudguards in wet weather as a courtesy to following riders.
- Bring clothing, as appropriate, for cold, wet, and hot weather.
- Do not leave the ride without advising the Ride Leader.
- If you feel unwell during the ride advise the Ride Leader (or Back Marker) immediately.
- Seek advice – the club has many experienced riders who are happy to advise on safety, bikes, clothing, repairs, and good rides.
Calls - mandatory
|Car Front||Made by the Leader (or others near the front): a vehicle coming towards the group may be a hazard.|
|Car Back||Made by the Back Marker (or riders near the back) – a vehicle behind that may be overtaking.|
|Stopping / Slowing||The rider intends to Stop or Slow down.|
|Single file / Single out||An instruction from Leader or Back Marker. Mandatory move to single file riding to allow a car to overtake or because of a narrow road.|
|Car Left / Right||To warn of a car approaching. There may be a requirement to stop.|
|Open Gaps||A mandatory instruction from Leader or Back Marker to split into smaller groups to allow traffic to overtake safely. Typical group size is 5 riders, who will then need to self-discipline (with calls). The groups should be at least 5 car lengths apart.|
|Clear||A courtesy call to assist riders in crossing an intersection.|
|Other advisory calls||To alert other riders of a Pedestrian, Runner, Horse, Hole, Gravel, Puncture etc (use appropriate hand signals as necessary).|
|All Up!||A call (often mandatory) made by the back marker to advise the leader that all riders are accounted for.|