cycling in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and beyond…..

WSCTC Garmin Route Maps in Dropbox

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Pickering 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Ian Pickering
    Participant

To West Surrey CTC GPS users:

To make it easier to visualize the rides we have stored in the Dropbox folders, I am experimenting with creating maps of each of the GPS routes. I have started with the Normandy folder where you can see a map of each ride with the same name as the garmin files. I’ve also added a link from the master Excel worksheet to these map images.

Let me know if you think this is useful or not and any comments/suggestions. If people find it useful I will go through the rest of the folders.

Regards

Ian

John Child
    Keymaster

Excellent idea Ian. Much easier way of visualising rides than downloading them every time.

bobmc
    Participant

Excuse my ignorance but how do I access the Dropbox files please

bobmc
    Participant

Found the Dropbox files, >rides and events > TCX FILES > link ‘DropBox files’
    Opened Normandy but haven’t found the maps . It does sound a good idea though.

Ian Pickering
    Participant

The maps are the files with the extension .png This is a standard image format used across the internet so should be able to open and view them on virtually all computers or other devices. However, If you can’t view these files, let me know and I will convert them to .jpg

ncritche
    Participant

Hi Ian,
    I tried this by going Rides and Events>TCX and Dropbox files [http://westsurreyctc.co.uk/rides-and-events/tcx-files/] but only get the following message “The folder ‘/West Surrey CTC Garmin Routes’ doesn’t exist.” when I follow the link ?

Is it actually a shared folder?
    Thx.

Keith Stainer
    Participant

Great facility and very easy to use. Minor issue, should file names have a consistent format? E.G. yymmdd

John Child
    Keymaster

There was a problem with the link to the Dropbox folder for some users – hopefully this has now been fixed so you should now be able to see and download both the tcx files as well as the maps.

Ian Pickering
    Participant

I thought it was best if the maps have the same name as the existing gps files, but I agree it would make sense to convert all the file names to a standard format.
    That’s something I could do that as I go through creating the maps. Anyone have any objection if I rename the existing files? I would suggest WSCTC_yyyymmdd_n as the naming convention.
    Ian

Ian Pickering
    Participant

Finished! All maps completed and stored alongside the GPS files in each folder. Let me know if you find any mistakes or have any further suggestions.

I have also updated the master Excel file (GPS Routes v3.xlsx) which lists all the rides with a link to each map (see column K). From this master list, you can filter by start point (and/or coffee stop if you like) using the drop-down boxes in row 1 and then click on the map link for each ride.

Let me know if you have any questions
    Best regards
    Ian

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Strava Do you have a Garmin?. Or have a smartphone? Track your rides with Strava - there is now a West Surrey CTC club page on Strava so you can compare your rides with your friends.

Did you know . . .

If you have an iPhone or iPad you can save a shortcut to this page with our logo to your home screen.

Next of Kin details

West_Surrey_CTC_single_180x332px   ICE - in case of emergency, you must carry next of kin details with you on rides, contact John Murdoch if you haven't yet received an email with the offer of your free ID tag.  

Upcoming Rides and Events