cycling in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and beyond…..

Save the date: 24 June night ride

Home Forum Discussions Save the date: 24 June night ride

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Waters 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

John Gillbe
    Participant

I’m planning a night ride on Friday 24th June, from Guildford to Brighton. We’ll go via Gatwick Airport and break there for refreshments at the all-night Costa and M&S at the South terminal. (There is a quiet route to the back door.) From there on to Brighton along quiet country roads with the unfearsome ascent of Ditchling Beacon to get a real sense of achievement. Total distance about 65 miles.

Several of you have heard me wax lyrical about the pleasures of night riding: quiet roads, different noises, and hopefully the moon and stars and a lovely dawn. It’s a magical experience which really gets the endorphins going!

In summary:
    Start: midnight at Guildford station
    Speed: we stick together, so the speed of the slowest. I’m planning on a gentle 10 miles an hour. Assuming there are more than about 4 of us then there will be a nominated tail end charlie.
    Arrive: a cafe to be determined on Brighton seafront at about 7am for breakfast, followed by train or cycle return.
    Lighting required: yes! Non-flashing rear lights and a half-decent front light. I and hopefully one or two others will have really good lights, but past experience tells me that these are not necessary for everyone.

Please let me know if you are interested or get in touch for more info.
    John G

Mark Waters
    Participant

John, I’m definitely interested! What a great idea and thanks for inviting people along. I recently joined the ‘FRIDAYS’ with a view to doing one or more of their Friday night to the Coast rides, but none have been on suitable dates yet. Yours could be perfect – I’ll have just returned from Austria.

Hopefully I’ll have somehow got my Schmidt hub operational: I bought it for just such a ride and the wheel has been lurking in the back of my garage for years. I guess I’ll need some fittings which I may not be able to get in time, but I have an alternative good light if I don’t.

Unless I hear from you (or you hear from me) before, I’ll see you at Guildford Station at midnight on the 24th. Hopefully a gentle pedal home rather than a train, but we’ll wait and see….

Mark

Roger Philo
    Participant

I’m interested, but aren’t the services at Pease Pottage more on a direct route from Guildford to Brighton?
    Mark: All 6 of my bikes have Schmidt hub lighting systems. I may have what you need as spare fittings.
    Roger

John Gillbe
    Participant

It was the precursor to The Fridays that got me into this business many years ago, but then I got out of the habit as it (to my way of thinking) became a victim of its own success, with numbers limited at 100 on each ride. I discoverd a little while back that Don came to our house for midway refreshments at about 3am on one of those excursions. The originator, Simon Legg, wrote a wonderful piece for The Guardian many years ago: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/may/08/ethicalliving.cycling. Looki forward to

John Gillbe
    Participant

Roger, I had wondered about Pease Pottage and will check out the services there. The challenge is not necessarily to find the shortest route, but one that keeps the legs ticking over without reaching Brighton at stupid o’clock. All plans are provisional until they are finalised! It would be great to have your experience with us.

Mark Waters
    Participant

Thanks, John, for posting that great article – makes me all the more excited about the ride. I do wonder why I didn’t start doing these night rides many years ago. After all, long audax rides in the 90s were absolutely my thing. A quick mental ‘tot up’ and I reckon that between 1991 and 1997 I spent about 30 nights in the saddle.

Roger, fantastic, I’ll be in touch. Many thanks for the offer.

Mark

John Gillbe
    Participant

Sorry chaps, but I’m going to have to postpone this ride. I was watching the traffic rather than the holes in the road last Thursday, came off, and ended up in A&E. No serious damage but can’t easily lift my right arm at the moment. I was amazed when, prior to lifting me onto my feet, the ambulance guys asked if I had cleats on my shoes. They, and drivers and A&E all restored my faith in local humanity.

New date to follow in due course.

John

markheal
    Participant

John Gillbe
    Sorry to hear that you too had a tumble and that the night ride is postponed.
    I suppose that I will have to ride out on my own to distract from the post-referendum blues!
    Mark Heal

Mark Waters
    Participant

John, recently back from Austrian cycle tour and very sorry to hear about your incident. Happy to await your revised date.

Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.